Monday 21 November 2011

I'm a happy running reindeer

It's been an awesome week! I've managed to regain control of my eating (and have lost 4lbs!) my dodgy ankle seems to be holding up well, and I got a PB at my 10km race yesterday! Couldn't be more pleased :)

The race yesterday was the RNLI's Reindeer Run 10km, around Lee Valley Park in Waltham Abbey and I finished in 53 minutes, 59 seconds.

It was an excellent race, really well organised, with a great marshal team who seemed to be on every bend on the course, cheering us all on!  It was primarily a fundraising fun run, and the RNLI gave everyone reindeer antlers to wear, and flashing red noses - and surprisingly there were loads of people who ran in them too!

There was an awesome atmosphere, with lots of children and families who were involved in the other events (a 5km or the 2km Santa Saunter) and everyone seemed to be having a great time, despite the fact that it was unbelievably freezing cold and foggy. 

Although I have a bit of an odd expression
on my face (I'm not very good with photos!)
 here I am with my antlers!
The course was over mixed terrain around the park, and followed some paths around the lakes and the River Lee and it really couldn't have been more beautiful with the fog rolling over the water - all very atmospheric and it made up for my numb fingers and toes!

I think my mood was also helped by the fact that I felt really strong after the first couple of km and so enjoyed the run itself (and overtaking quite a lot of people was very satisfying too!). In fact, I was a bit sad that it was over so quickly, and think I could have had a good performance over a half marathon distance - maybe that'll be an option next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment