Monday 5 March 2012

Becoming a gym bunny?

About eight months ago, I realised that my good intentions weren't enough to make my gym membership a worthwhile expense...I hadn't actually set foot inside the place for months!  So, I cancelled, and to be honest didn't miss it at all, even during the winter weather - I'm a runner, and I run outside, so what did I need with the gym?!

However, I've recognised that what lots of people say is probably right...you can't just run.  Well, obviously you can, and that's great, but to be the best I can be (and reduce the chance of injury) means losing the extra weight I'm carrying, working with some weights and getting in a bit of cross training - the cardio workout I get through my running isn't enough.  Now don't get me wrong, I'll never run on a treadmill (because I hate that more than anything) and I'm not planning on reducing my mileage, but I am planning on supplementing my training and to this end, this weekend I rejoined the local LA Fitness, which has recently had a massive refurbishment and is a far cry from the paint-peeling, mould growing in the showers, AC doesn't work type of place that it was before!

What I'm planning is to go swimming one morning a week, and having a gym workout another morning - so I'm not aiming too high, but hopefully that will be enough to make a difference when I combine it with running 3, 4 or 5 days a week.  My first session back in the gym is tomorrow morning so I'll be getting up early, joining @6amCLUB and going for a workout!

---

[Just to update - I made it to the gym on Tuesday, although didn't manage to get up early so went after work.  I exercised really hard, I put in loads of effort.  I had to stop while I was on the bike as I thought I was going to pass out.  Then I ran home.  I'm going back this Tuesday and am very glad I joined!]


1 comment:

  1. definately a good plan, I try to swim two mornings a week and then do one class (either Pilates / Body Pump / Spin) depending on how energetic I feel after all the running. I think it helps!

    ReplyDelete