Wednesday 2 October 2013

Miraculous motivation

It was like someone flicked a switch in my brain and turned my running mojo back on, and now I can feel it coursing through my veins.

After months of really not being into this running lark at all and struggling to successfully recover from my ankle injury, I woke up on Thursday last week at 6am, and completely out of the blue, went for a seven mile run. I’ve followed that up with an early morning run every day since then; today was day 7 of this totally unexpected and unplanned run streak and I’ve clocked up a respectable 36.5 miles.  This is from someone who for years has generally trained at 10pm at night, and I was so useless at dragging myself from my bed before work! I’ve had a look through my training spreadsheets – I haven’t done this sort of training mileage in 7 days (without including race mileage) since June 2012!

For some reason, getting up early hasn’t felt like a chore this past week, and I’ve been rewarded with some beautiful sun rises. It’s been a pleasure to be out in the countryside, running through the woods and fields at dawn, and even the tarmac sections of my runs through town didn't feel too dull ;) Today was a little different as it was my first run in torrential rain – but I still headed out into the cold and dark morning, and ran the route through the woods that I’d planned, splashing through the puddles as I went.

It’s just an incredible change in me. If I were religious, which I'm not, I’d think it was miraculous…

I’m feeling fitter with every run, mixing up my pace, I’m losing some of the weight I’ve gained over the last few months, and generally loving being a runner again. Is it too “hippie” to say I’ve found myself? Probably, but on some level it does feel true. 

I don’t know if this new found enthusiasm will last, or if my body will cope with a runstreak, but while I’m feeling this good about training, I’m going to embrace it.





6 comments:

  1. Hooray!! Glad you're loving the running again! And wow ... well done on early morning runs!! I'm allergic to those!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :D I always thought I was allergic too but it's been great to get my runs done before work...my old 10pm runs don't seem that attractive anymore!

      Delete
  2. Excellent!!! Naomi! if you need a partner to run with ( not any speed) let me know as I'd be happy to come out any day. I'll need to start getting up early in the mornings sooner or later haha! Well done and welcome back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :) Give me another couple of weeks and I'll take you up on that...from your performance at Berlin you're in great form at the moment & I still need to get a bit fitter first!

      Delete
  3. Up and Out, good for you Naomi. I am a complete night owl and find mornings extremely hard, the very thought of running at 6.00am fills me with dread, silly as most long runs start at that time to get the daylight. Keep at it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Naomi. I mainly run for my squash fitness but have often struggled for motivation. It's not too bad over the shorter distance but my attention span can be like a goldfish so I have tended to struggle to motivate myself for the longer distances. That was until I got myself a pair of these headphones. You probably don't need them as much as me but thought I would share, all the same. :)

    http://www.i-run.co.uk/product-review-fx-sport-vr1/

    ReplyDelete