Tuesday 28 May 2013

Every runner's nightmare

Injury.

Although I’ve had quite a few painful niggles before, a bit of tendinitis, over-use stuff, I’ve never suffered with a real injury. Until now.

I’m classing this as a real injury above the other problems I’ve had before because there is a barely a minute of the day that goes by without some level of pain or discomfort. Because I can’t walk (hobble) for more than 10 minutes without more serious levels of pain developing. Because I am somewhat debilitated and I know I can’t run. Because my physio, Tessa, told me it’s an injury.

On Thursday, I went to see Tessa with my lower leg and ankle swollen up beyond recognition, in lots of pain, with limited movement in my ankle and particularly in my big-toe which was seemingly paralysed, and massively limping. She examined me, massaged, manipulated, and diagnosed me with anterior compartment syndrome. She said I needed to RICE, to avoid alcohol, and if it got worse, to go to A&E, but otherwise to come back and see her after the weekend. She also gave me exercises to do too, to try and regain some level of movement.

So, I RICEd.  I didn’t dance at my friend’s wedding, at work I sat with my leg up on a stool at my desk, and at home I sat on the sofa with my leg up on the coffee table. I iced with special ice packs that Francis had bought me, and I compressed with new socks that I’d bought, because my compression socks wouldn't fit over my swollen foot.

And so the swelling went down. Today, Tuesday, was my return visit to Tessa. The swelling has reduced so much I can wear my normal compression socks and I can walk with only a minimal limp. My ankle moves a fair bit more than it did, and although my foot, ankle and leg are still painful, everything feels better than last week. I'm even able to move my big toe a bit. This meant that I was expecting her to say, well done, it’s improving much more than expected, you’ll probably be able to run by next week.

What I wasn’t expecting to hear was that she hadn’t wanted to give me the full picture on my first visit in case it freaked me out, and she wanted to see what the damage was like when the swelling had gone down. She said that I had to prepare myself that if it didn’t improve a lot more over the next week or so, there was a chance it could be also be a stress fracture and I’d need to go for a scan and even if there isn’t a stress fracture, it’s very unlikely that I’m going to be ready in time to run the two 50-odd mile races that I’ve got scheduled for July. She’s pleased with progress, but as it turns out, it is a serious injury and it’s going to take time to heal.

Now I have to start coming to terms with the idea that I could be out of the running game for more than another week or so. This could be quite a long lay-off…counted in weeks or months instead of days.

I’m still totally in denial about it, and in the back of my mind, I’m still pretty sure that she’s overreacting, and that by next week it’ll be 100 times better, and she’ll be very surprised, and suggest I go for an easy couple of miles. But I’m telling people what she said because the more I talk about it, and the more people I tell, the more real it is, and hopefully the shock will be less each morning that I wake up and find the pain still hasn’t gone and I still can’t run.




4 comments:

  1. Aaarrgghh, I feel for you but you need to put it into perspective also. You will not have been running for at least another week or so after the incredible feat of athleticism in the past week or so...yes?
    Indeed, you have got an injury but it looks like Tessa has got it covered even though it is not what you want to hear.
    However frustrated you may feel you must not do anything that will exacerbate it...rest you still an incredible athlete and you will only come back stronger.
    Love Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks Naomi but this is what I've had to put up with for the last 8 months!!!! and i thought I'd be back running in a week. :-( I know mine isn't like yours but it's the mental side where you think your going to be alright Jack, no matter what anyone else says. The truth is it is going to take time and you will have to just submit to it. The chances are things could get back to normal in a couple of weeks and you'll be back running! Of course you have to look on the bright side or else we'll go mad. ;-)

    Stay positive and just remember your magnificent achievement which brought you to this point - you'd do it again wouldn't you! That's how mad we runners are. :-)

    H x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about this Naomi. It's horrible being injured, particularly in the head. But you need to listen to Tessa and rest. As frustrating as that may sound.
    You can lie back and back in the glory of your amazing achievement of the 10 in 10.
    Keep strong.
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you're injured, Naomi. Be patient. You have run more marathons in the past month than most will achieve in a lifetime. Let your injury heal properly. You have a lifetime more of awesome running achievements ahead. True fact. Kx

    ReplyDelete