Monday 1 June 2015

Setting new goals

Now I've stopped carrying my GUCR medal around with me and I've had a whole week off running to recover, today I start the next phase in my training, with a new focus on trying to cut down my weight, a commitment to take part in Juneathon (running every day in June) to get me back to some level of consistency, and a whole host of races to get ready for over the next few months. But it's not just about the training...I need to set myself some new goals.

As soon as I crossed the line at GUCR I knew that I wanted to have another go, but to be in a position to run it really well - to be fitter and better prepared, taking the lessons I had learnt from this year's race. However, I've decided that I want to try some more long events, and so as well as going into the ballot for GUCR when it opens later in the year, and probably entering TP100 again, and possibly the South Downs Way 100, I have decided to step it up.

I'm going to apply for a place in one of Mark Cockbain's infamous events, the Viking Way Ultra.

  • 147 miles, non-stop, self navigation.
  • From the Humber Bridge in North Lincolnshire to Oakham in Rutland.
  • 2,295m of ascent.
  • 40 hour cut off, with additional cut offs at 50 and 100 miles.
  • Checkpoints with basic provisions are every 15 - 20 miles.
  • No crews or pacers are allowed.

This sounds totally hardcore, and has a very high drop out rate (only 20% of starters finish) and Mimi Anderson is the only woman to have ever completed it, so far! However, there are a few women out on the ultra scene at the moment who seem to love the long stuff as much as I do, so I'm sure there would be quite a few of us next year...

But you know what? I really think this is something I can do. It feels ridiculous and strange to believe in myself so much, but that is the gift that GUCR has given me.

Now, I just have to see if Mark will accept my application. He has to decide if I'm experienced enough to give the race a go... Fingers crossed.


**Next day update:my application has been accepted! I'm paid up and on the entry list. Very excited :D
 

1 comment:

  1. Eeeek! How exciting. You ARE completely bonkers of course but I am still positive that you will smash this!!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete