Tuesday 7 December 2010

Finally, I ran in the snow

The alarm went off at 5.30am this morning, I snoozed, alarm went off again, I seriously thought about turning it off and going back to sleep, and then, with much effort, I successfully dragged myself out of bed and got ready for my run - my first since last Monday because of the masses of snow we've had.

It was minus 3.5oC outside, so not the minus five I was expecting, and an airing cupboard full of warm running clothes definitely added to my enthusiasm, and once I got outside I was actually really excited to be there, especially as there'd been a freezing fog overnight and the trees were all beautifully iced up - it all looked pretty and decidedly Christmassy!  Could still feel the chill through all my layers, but that's how it's supposed to be, and before long I was feeling pretty comfortable and very pleased with myself for finally having worked out how to dress for this weather...I think smug is probably the word ;)

Unfortunately the paths along all my usual routes are still covered in ice and I didn't want to risk a fall, so ran in the road until I got to the main high street, where the council have taken great care to get rid of all the snow, and it's completely safe to run on the pavement.  Not inspiring or picturesque mind...but not slippery either.  So, the plan was to run up and down the half mile high street until I got to my 6 miles target.

So, there I am, smug in my hat, gloves, ear warmer, two pairs of leggings, two tops and a sweatshirt, running up and down.  Until the weather decided that I was far too smug, and it started snowing...pretty heavily.  Within 5 minutes, I was making footprints in the snow that had settled!   Unfortunately, when working out what to wear to keep me warm, I'd completely disregarding the importance of keeping dry and an oversized cotton sweatshirt is not ideal when the snow's falling!

It was a lovely run though which I really enjoyed, and although I only did 5 miles in the end (which I think is not too bad given the dull, repetitive nature of my route!), I'm so glad I went out, and will definitely be running more this week - back on track! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment